PTC Alliance is a global leader in the manufacturing and distribution of Drawn-Over-Mandrel Tubing (DOM), Electrical Resistance Welded Tubing (ERW), Cold Drawn Seamless Tubing (CDS), Chrome Plated Tubing and Bar, and Tubular and Bar Machined Components.
Pittsburgh Tube Company, now PTC Alliance Corporation, was founded in 1924 when John P. Gangwisch purchased the small mill next door to his plant in Monaca, Pennsylvania. The distressed plant employed 60 people who manufactured buttweld pipe for iron beds. Mr. Gangwisch was convinced there was a ready market for iron beds and a bright future for a plant capable of fabricating a quality product. With capital improvements and a great sales effort, he believed the company would be successful.
Mr. Gangwisch presented his idea to four friends and business associates and together, these five men completed arrangements to take over the name, business, assets and liabilities of the Pittsburgh Tube Company.
The young company faced challenges early on as other pioneers in the field of welded steel tubing moved in on the iron bedstead tubing markets. Establishing flexibility it never lost, Pittsburgh Tube diligently sought new ways to make buttweld tubing and to find new markets for it. Over the years the company responded to competitive pressures by adding capital equipment when necessary and switching product lines when existing markets showed designs of decay. Expansion and planning has continued at a steady pace at PTC Alliance as the following steps in its growth will attest.
- 1958: Installed a continuous weld pipe mill operation, with an annual capacity of 40,000 tons
- 1966: Expanded facility by adding a 28,000 square foot facility to house cutting and fabrication equipment
- 1974: Expanded finishing capacity by building a 65,000 square foot cold draw plant in Jane Lew, West Virginia
- 1981: Replaced the 1958 continuous weld pipe mill with a 90,000 square foot facility located in Darlington, Pennsylvania, and housing a Hot stretch reducing mill having an annual capacity of 75,000 tons
- 1983: Acquired Keystone Pipe Threading and Testing Company, an oil country finishing plant located in Butler, PA. By 1987, the decline of the oil country market resulted in the closing of Keystone
- 1986: Acquired General Tube Company located in Chicago, Illinois. The General Tube Division is a 30,000 square foot cold draw mill that obtains its raw material from our direct weld divisions to cold draw tubing for the Chicago markets.
- 1988: Started a new Division named Tec-FAB, a 24,000 square foot facility located in Richmond, Indiana. Tec-Fab is strategically positioned to serve future markets of the Company with value-added manufacturing. Subsequently added 30,000 sq. ft. to the facility in 1997.
- 1989: Acquired Monroe Tube Company, a 75,000 square foot facility in Monroe, New York. Monroe is also a cold draw tubing manufacturer that cuts and end finishes short lengths of mechanical tubing, primarily for automotive markets.
- 1995: Acquired Vincent Wiederholt GMBH, a precision cold drawn tubing and component manufacturer in Holzwickede, Germany.
- 2000: Acquired Alliance Midwest Tubular Products, whose plants are in Alliance and Salem, Ohio as well as Chicago Heights, IL. These three plants combined to offer additional Cold Draw and Value-Added Services.
- 2000: Acquired Enduro Industries based in Hannibal Missouri. Enduro specializes in chrome plated tubing, bar and chrome plated tubing and bar machined components.
- 2005: Established the company’s first international sales entity PTCAlliance UK Ltd. in Chesterfield, England.
- 2006: Acquired Pennsylvania Cold Draw facility located in Beaver Falls, PA. The facility produced Cold Drawn welded tubing along with Cold Drawn Seamless tubing, as it still does today.
- 2007: Salem Value-Added plant was replaced by a new 100,000 sq. ft. facility in Beaver Falls, PA directly next to the existing cold draw facility
Today, PTC Alliance has streamlined the operations to nine facilities and is a leader in the steel tubing and plated bar industry. We produce a broad range of bar and tubular products, from Cold Drawn Mechanical Tubing and Seamless Tubing to Fabricated end use products. Over the past century, PTC Alliance has gained the experience and knowledge to help you improve your business through innovative supply chain solutions. Call us today to experience the benefits of being a supply chain partner of PTC Alliance.